Monday, February 18, 2008

Note to Self: milk = milk

SC had her first bout of vomitus maximus last night at bedtime. I’m not sure what triggered it, but she was eating cereal like crazy yesterday, so it could have been either the sheer volume of food, the fact that I added a small spoon of sweet potatoes for flavor on the last feeding, or a tummy bug thingy. I was ruling out the last one merely based on the fact that after she threw everything up all over her crib, she was all happy and giggles and coos. The most upsetting part for her was confusion about why the food was coming back out and why it had to be so forceful.

Then she was just so darn pleasant about the whole thing that I decided to cuddle up with her in the chair and just sleep that way in case she needed me again.

Well, at about 2am, she woke for a bit and seemed to be a little peckish (of course), and I decided that I should at least keep her hydrated so a little drink would be a good thing. So, I let her nurse because, of course, at 2am one’s brain doesn’t process that milk, in any form, is probably not the best idea for a kid that threw up a few hours prior. ‘Cause, you know, it’s breastmilk...so it’s not really milk.

30 minutes later...baaaaaaaaaaaaaarf.

Yeah, ok. Logic at 2am is not logic- it’s a recipe for more laundry.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I continue to make that mistake, because for some reason, I believe in the magical properties of breast milk, even when it's not 2 a.m. I think I read somewhere that sometimes, breast milk is the only thing that a kid can keep on her stomach.

Isn't the definition of insanity doing the same thing over and over and expecting different results? Just call me crazy. Hope your little one is doing better.

Jenn (dish) said...

I think I may have read something about kids tolerating breast milk when they are sick, too, now that you mention it. Perhaps we both heard it from Dr. Google? :-)

SC was doing much better yesterday and kept all of her fluids plus a little bit of cereal down easily. This morning she was spewing fluids from everywhere and had a fever. Poor kid. If today is like yesterday, she'll sleep for most of it, so at least I'll not get too far behind with work. (Kid comes first, but I am up against a deadline.)