Wednesday, February 21, 2007

When you need to send "your own" greeting

I was driving home from an extra chorus rehearsal last night when my ears caught the following on the radio:

“We tried to have a child of our own but it wasn’t working. So we adopted.” (Delivered in the most apathetic, monotone female voice you can imagine.)

“Blah blah blah blah...blah blah blah” (there was another “life story” but I didn’t hear it over the fuming in my head over the “our own” language as I waited patiently to hear what dumbass company was using this bit to make money.

Hallmark.

It seems they have a new line of cards called “Journeys” that are meant to help send a greeting to someone when the situation might be very specific and sensitive. Cancer. Infertility. Miscarriage. Caring for an aging parent. The list goes on.

While I applaud the gesture toward acknowledging that there are situations in life for which a “Get Well Soon” or “Thinking of You” card are just not quite right, the absolute FUMBLE on the radio ad is deplorable. Hallmark- you have obviously hired a team of individuals to create these “Journey” cards. To capture a specific market. Fine. Maybe you could use the same “sensitivity team” to help you create the friggin’ commercials? Did that thought cross your mind? Hmmmm?

Idiots.

(For more perspectives on the new cards, check out Brooklyn Girl, Gawker, and Julie who have already posted on this topic.)

UPDATED TO ADD: I sent a complaint to Hallmark via e-mail. If you wish to do the same, go here. I will let you know if they respond.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Too funy, I heard yesterday that they pulled that ad for the very reasons you mention. Probably b/c some agency produced it without knowing what the cards were all about. I have seen them at the store and they're much more than this made it out to be!