Wednesday, April 27, 2005

Biopsy Results and another PSA

And the biopsy results are…

Negative. Sort of. The three moles removed are all dysplastic nevi, which are essentially pre-cancerous moles. They fit all of the ABC’s (asymmetrical, irregular border, more than one color) for abnormality. They are also the type most likely to change into melanoma and, given that I’ve been down that path before, are pretty much guaranteed to do so for me. The follow up? Well, before I had a confirmed melanoma, the follow up was absolutely nothing. Now that I have a “history” (makes me sound shady, huh?) the follow-up is to re-excise the area to take just a bit more tissue and be sure that they have every last one of the kooky cells. I am scheduled to go in next Tuesday for the extra cutting. Oh, just a word of advice to anyone who will have a procedure done using local without epinephrine- you will bleed. A. Lot. Just a warning.

I expect that they will find either clear borders or the presence of a few more atypical cells, nothing cancerous. But I’ll go ahead do a prayer request just in case.


And your friendly, neighborhood, Public Service Announcement…

May is National Melanoma/Skin Cancer Prevention and Detection Month. Check your moles regularly. Perhaps even go to a skin cancer screening in your area. Wear sunscreen daily. Wear a hat. And for gawd’s sake- if any of your moles changes, even slightly- go to the doctor immediately! It can literally save your life. If the melanoma is less than one millimeter in thickness, the survival rate is nearly 100%. If it reaches four millimeters, the survival rate drops to 50%. 50%!!! This is serious, people. Melanoma is one bad-ass form of cancer, and because it starts on the surface in almost every case, you have a really good chance of spotting it early if you just know your skin very well. Or have someone else know it- might as well have fun while being healthy!

But seriously- I’m not messin’ with ya. Get checked.

1 comment:

Jenn (dish) said...

Thanks Natalie. I was being defensive for Karen, and was truly hoping that your comment got cut short. I guess I get a little touchy on certain topics. I am glad you e-mailed her with your full response.