Saturday, January 23, 2010

Knifty

I got to feed the crafy beast this morning *and* do work for my new job at the same time. Score! One of my fellow staff members will be running a knitting and crocheting class for some of our residents, and because we are a nonprofit, we reached out the the community for donations of yarns and needles.

I got an almost immediate response to my request from the lovely Jenn B. who offered a dozen skeins of yarn to the cause. And then she passed it along to some knitty friends who also came through. So, this morning I had to--twist my arm--make a stop at a really neat local yarn store, Natural Stitches. I had the pleasure of finally meeting Jenn B., meeting the extremely helpful and friendly staff at the store (with special thanks to Yvonne for making a donation of her own as well as collecting from others), and scored a lot of yarn and hooks for the ladies at the shelter and residential program. Plus, I had to get a bit of yarn for my own stash (yes, it was a necessity...shut up). And I found a sock-making class that I must attend in February. Really. Somehow in my head I'm not really a knitter until I make a pair of socks. And a project with that many needles requires more than a book with pretty pictures (for me, at least).

So, a fabulous morning overall. Many thanks again to Jenn B. for her yarn and for graciously tolerating the antics of the small one. And if any of you are ever in need of great yarn in a comfy environment with cool people, head over to Natural Stitches in the east end. I know I will be back!

4 comments:

Jenn said...

I am so happy that I finally got to meet you and the small one! ("Do it again!" Are your arms going to be sore tomorrow?) I hope the knitting and crocheting class is a huge success!

Jenn (dish) said...

So great to meet you, too! My arms were fine as she has me doing that trick almost daily. You would think my arms might even be buff, but alas...

BTW, loved that mixed grain thingy from TJs. Will definitely be getting that one again.

Whoa ! said...

great posts madam!!!

Loyce said...

I admire those who can knit and crochet. My grandmother tried to teach me to crochet when I was pregnant with my first child. We decided on a very simple baby bootie. When it was finished it could have fit a 5-year-old. I was so disappointed because it took me quite a lot of time. So now I leave the knitting and crocheting to those who have the knack. Instead I started making soap.

Lavender